The Optimistic Route

As my surgery date approaches, I’ve continued to waffle about what to do or whether to go through with it at all.  I know I need to do something.  My current loop ileostomy is not a permanent solution.  It will eventually degrade.  It is in a bad position (right at the waistline, preventing me from wearing a belt or sitting without slouching).  It is diverting digested food from traveling the full-length of the small intestine, reducing nutrient absorption.  I either need to reverse the J-Pouch and get an permanent end ileostomy (i.e., remove the J-Pouch and create a new ileostomy from the freed-up small intestine) or try the takedown again.  Over the last couple weeks, I’ve had a couple of small epiphanies that have convinced me—at least for the moment—that trying the takedown is the way to go.

First, a few days ago, as I sat on the toilet at 3am emptying my ostomy bag (as I do every night), a thought flashed through my mind:  I don’t want to do this forever.  I just don’t.  It’s manageable; it’s livable; it’s better than being sick.  But I don’t like it.  It’s likely that I will have to get up in the middle of the night to “empty” my J-Pouch too, but it’s just not the same.  There is something about this plastic thing hanging off of me, the crinkle of the plastic, the weight of it, and I’m just not a fan.

Second, after explaining my surgery options to a friend at work last week, she immediately responded: “Might as well go the optimistic route and try the takedown again.”  The optimistic route.  “Optimistic” is not an adjective often used to describe me.  And, given the complications last time, staying optimistic about trying the takedown again has been particularly challenging.  But my friend is absolutely right.  Might as well go the optimistic route.  Might as well try again for the life I wanted when I decided on surgery a year ago.  Might as well believe it will work this time.  If it doesn’t, I can always go for a permanent ileostomy down the road, but I might as well go for the best possible outcome now.

Takedown it is, July 2.

This entry was posted in Ileostomy, J-Pouch, Surgery, Ulcerative Colitis and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to The Optimistic Route

  1. myucjourney says:

    Go for it Ben! I’m really excited for you. I’ll keep you in my prayers.

  2. Molly says:

    That’s right, I did say that! Of course it’s easy to say and much harder to have the courage to reach for the outcome you really want knowing that things might not turn out as you hope. But this seems like a great decision. It’s incredibly brave. And I think that no matter what happens, you should be proud to tell Baby Glickman someday that you overcame your fears and tried this. Bring it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s