Yesterday afternoon, I came down with a low-grade fever, accompanied by achy legs, headache, and occasional chills. It never got too high (peaking around 100). After a couple hours, I started getting an intense internal pain near my tailbone. It felt like I sometimes feel when I need to expel mucus, but worse. It hurt when I sat, or laid, or applied any pressure to it. And, try as I might, I was not able to expel and mucus and relieve the pain. During the night, I woke up to find that my fever had broke and a small puddle of mucus. The tailbone pain was still present, but not as bad.
When I woke up this morning, I didn’t have a fever, but over the last few hours, my fever has returned. It’s now somewhere between 101.3 and 102.1 depending on timing and the thermometer used. Still nowhere near as high as I got in October in the hours leading up to my last surgery, but high enough to cause some concern. And the tailbone pain persists. Not as bad as yesterday, but bad enough.
I’ve been in touch with my doctors, and my surgeon is concerned that the pouch may have filled with liquid (perhaps related to the partial blockage and bag blowout I had a couple weeks ago?) and may be acting like abscess. Nothing’s been decided yet, but she’s leaning towards an exam under anesthesia to check things out. Not sure when. I’ll update when I know more.
Just when I thought I had finally turned a corner…
Update 1: Still waiting for final word from the docs about what, if anything, we’re going to do. In the meantime, my fever has dropped below 101, which is good.
Update 2: At the colorectal clinic now for a digital exam (awesome) and to see if we can get any fluid in my pouch to release. Unless we solve it today, exam under anesthesia first thing tomorrow. Fever’s all over the place.